David J. Gogal
David is a principal in the law firm of Blankingship & Keith, P.C. in the City of Fairfax. He is a civil litigator with over 30 years of trial practice, primarily before the various Virginia Circuits Courts in Northern Virginia as well as the Federal Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia. He also has substantial appellate experience arguing before the Supreme Court of Virginia and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. His practice has concentrated on commercial litigation, employment law, real estate law, legal malpractice defense, and appellate representation.
David is an active member of the Virginia State Bar, currently serving on Bar Council and on the Disciplinary Board, and previously having served as Chair of the Standing Committee on Lawyer Discipline and Chair of the Fifth District Disciplinary Committee. He also served as a member for 6 years on the Professionalism Committee and was appointed to the faculty of the Mandatory Professionalism Course.
David currently serves on the Board of Governors for the Virginia Bar Association and on the Civil Litigation Council. David also has been an active member of the Boyd Graves Conference, and has had the opportunity to chair several committees.
David also serves on the Board of the Virginia Law Foundation and is a member of the Virginia CLE Committee.
Earlier in his career, David held several leadership positions with the Fairfax Bar Association, including serving as President, a Member of the Board of Directors, Chair of the Circuit Court Committee, and a member of the Judicial Screening Committee. Notably, he has been a Co-Editor of the Fairfax Circuit Court Practice Manual since 2002 (which includes the 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2014 and 2018 Editions).
David received both his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Virginia, where he was awarded the UVA Alumni Association Distinguished Student Award. For over 20 years beginning in 1993, David has returned for most winters to Charlottesville to serve as a faculty member of the National Trial Advocacy College at the University of Virginia School of Law.
Professional Honors & Activities
U.S. News - Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation and in Professional Malpractice Law (2009-2022)
U.S. News - Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, Professional Malpractice Law (2022)
Virginia Business Magazine, Legal Elite: Labor and Employment Law (2012-2021)
Virginia Super Lawyer, Business Litigation, Employment & Labor and Real Estate (2006-2022)
Virginia Super Lawyer, Top 100 (2020)
Arlington Magazine, Top Attorney, Construction Law (2021)
Recognized in the premiere issue of Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition for Business Litigation (2007)
Rated AV Preeminent Attorney- Judicial Edition by Martindale-Hubbell (2017-2021)
Rated AV Preeminent Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell (1999-2021)
Fairfax Bar Association President’s Award (2002, 2007 and 2013)
Named Richmond Magazine Top Lawyer (2013-2021), Washington Magazine Top Lawyer (2015-2021), and Northern Virginia Magazine Top Lawyer for Employment Law (2020)
- Board Member, Virginia Law Foundation, 2020-
- Board Member, Fairfax Law Foundation, 2003-
- Chairman, Fairfax Public Law Library Committee (1995-1999)
- President, Fairfax Police Youth Club (1997-2000)
- Board Member, Fairfax Police Youth Club (1989-present)
- Fairfax 8th Grade Tour Program, Attorney Guide
- Leadership Fairfax Member (1997-present)
- Instructor, Model Judiciary program at Annandale High School, (1989-2000)
- Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 895, Falls Church, VA
- Falls Church Recreation Coach (soccer, basketball)
- McLean v. Ray, 488 Fed. Appx. 677, 2012 U.S. App. LEXIS 14857 (4th Cir. 2012)
- Gen. Tech. Applications, Inc v. Exro Ltda, 388 F.3d 114 (4th Cir. 2004)
- Premier Signatures International, Inc. v. Feld Entertainment Productions, Inc., 1999 U.S. App. LEXIS 14028; Case No. 98-2456 (unpublished opinion) (4th Cir. 1999)
- Leonard v. J.C. Pro Wear, Inc., et al., 64 F.3d 657 (4th Cir. 1995); U.S. App. LEXIS 29888; U.S. App. LEXIS 24340; 1995 - 2 Trade Case P71, 108
- Minnesota Lawyers Mutual Insurance Co. v. Hancock, et al, 600 F. Supp. 2d 702 (E.D. Va. 2009)
- Firestone v. Wiley, 485 F. Supp. 2d 694 (E.D. Va. 2007)
- Middleburg Training Center, Inc. v. Firestone, 477 F.Supp. 2d 719 E.D. Va. 2007)
- Physicians Comm. For Responsible Med. v. General Mills, Inc. 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 87047 (E.D. Va. 2006)
- Continental Cas. Co. v. Graham & Schewe, 339 F.Supp.2d 723 (E.D. Va. 2004)
- In the Matter of Barbara S. Franklin and Priscilla B. Ransohoff, 709 F. Supp. 109 (E.D. Va. 1989); U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3106
- McDiarmid Trustee of McDiarmid Land Trust v. Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority Supreme Court of Virginia. February 21, 2019 Not Reported in S.E. Rptr. 2019 WL 827080
- Shareholder Representative Servs. L.L.C. v. Airbus Americas Inc., 292 Va. 682 (2016)
- John C. Donnelly, et al. v. Donatelli & Klein, Inc., et al., 258 Va. 171, 519 S.E.2d 133 (1999)
- George Atkisson, et al. v. Wexford Associates, et al and Wexford Associates, et al. v. George Atkisson, et al., 254 Va. 449, 493 S.E.2d 524 (1997)
- Hazel & Thomas, P.C., et al. v. Shahram Yavari, et al., 251 Va. 162, 465 S.E.2d 812 (1996)
- Airbus Americas Inc. v. Shareholder Representative Servs. L.L.C. (90 Va. Cir. 284 (2015