Kevin F.X. DeTurris
Kevin DeTurris is an experienced first-chair trial attorney with years of experience in managing litigation matters from initial pleading through trial and appeal. He regularly litigates complex business disputes involving breach of contract, labor agreements, fraud, conspiracy and a host of other business torts. His experience spans several industries, including real estate, construction, banking, trusts and estates, and technology.
Kevin has substantial experience in the area of real estate litigation, involving the use of property, construction disputes, mechanics liens, trespass and nuisance cases, and landlord-tenant matters. He has a particular focus on litigating property use and valuation cases. This experience includes representing condemnors and condemnees in eminent domain matters; municipalities and property owners in tax appeal matters; and banks in complex litigations related to their lending practices.
Kevin has successfully represented clients in all of the local federal and state trial courts, the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, and the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals. Kevin also represents clients before local boards of zoning appeals, in arbitration and mediation.
Professional Honors & Activities
Fairfax Bar Association
- Director, Board of Directors 2005-2007
- President of the Young Lawyers Section 2005-2006
- Director, Board of Directors of the Young Lawyers Section 2004-2006
- Member since 2003
Virginia Bar Association
- Director, Young Lawyers Division 2007-2008
- Member since 2006
Super Lawyers Rising Star
Selected Publications and Lectures
Co-Editor and Co-Author, Virginia CLE Publications, Eminent Domain Law in Virginia, 2017 Edition.
Quoted, "Surprised by what the government says your home is worth? Here’s how to file an appeal on your property taxes.", The Washington Post, October 30, 2021.
2019 CLE International Annual Virginia Eminent Domain Seminar: The Need for Strict Compliance in Eminent Domain Litigation.
2018 Virginia CLE Eminent Domain in Virginia The Must Know Basics: Pre-Trial Issues and Discovery in Eminent Domain Matters.
2016 CLE International Annual Virginia Eminent Domain Seminar: Relocating Easements.
2013 Lorman Property Tax in Virginia Seminar: Litigating Tax Appeals.
- Berkley v. F.E.R.C., 139 S. Ct. 941, 203 L. Ed. 2d 131 (2019)
- Mountain Valley Pipeline v. Easement, 7:17-CV-492 (W.D.Va. 1/31/2018)
- Berkley v. Mountain Valley Pipeline, LLC, 896 F.3d 624, 627 (4th Cir. 2018), cert. denied sub nom.
- I.G.S. vs. The Commerce Executive Park Association of Co-Owners, 2015 Va. Cir. LEXIS (Fairfax, VA, 2015)
- City of Fairfax v. The Lamb Center, 2011 Va. Cir. LEXIS 234 (Fairfax, VA, 2011)
- Army Navy Country Club v. City of Fairfax, 2011 Va. Cir. LEXIS 187 (Fairfax, VA, 2011)
- Shehadeh v. Fountains of McLean, 78 Va. Cir. 357 (Fairfax, 2009)
- Idearc Media Corp. v. Reliable 24 Hour Plumbing, 2007 US Dist. LEXIS 67361 (E.D.Va. 2007)